Best DHT Blockers For Hair Regrowth For 2018
Since 2017, we have spent over 42 hours testing 18 different DHT blocker shampoos, read over 10300 real user reviews, scoured the Internet for actual before and after photos before determining that Shapiro MD is the best DHT Blocker Shampoo available.
Developed by dermatologists Michael T. Borenstein, M.D., PH.D. and Steven D. Shapiro, M.D., using a patented formula with proprietary natural ingredients, Shapiro MD has been known to successfully reduce DHT and help regrow hair. No other shampoos we tested came close. The pricing is great too.
- Get Thicker Fuller Hair in Just 30 Days!
- 3 Natural DHT Blocking Ingredients.
- Dermatologist Developed – Patented Formula.
- 60 Days Money Back Guarantee.
- Manufactured in an FDA Certified Lab.
It has both a shampoo and conditioner for a complete system at an affordable price. All purchases come with a 60-day money-back guarantee. So, if you aren’t satisfied with the results, you can return your shipment for a full refund.
It is a triple-action formula of pharmaceutical-grade ingredients that can help restore hair in both men and women. The development of Shapiro MD was monitored by a team of board-certified dermatologists.
It is manufactured in an FDA-approved and GMP-certified laboratory according to strict high-quality assurance.
Shapiro MD Shampoo has three main active ingredients: Saw Palmetto Berry extract, EPIGALLOCATECHIN-3 -GALLATE (EGCG), and Caffeine.
Saw Palmetto Berry Extract
Saw Palmetto Berry is rich in vitamins and antioxidants, which provides many health benefits. Saw Palmetto Berry extract has been used for medicinal treatments for centuries. it has been shown to slow down the production of 5-alpha reductase which helps reduce dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
EGCG is a member of the catechin family. Catechins are naturally found in green tea. Studies conducted on mice have shown that green tea has triggered hair regrowth in mice. Researchers at Drew University of Medicine and Science, L.A. split a group of 60 mice into Group A and Group B.
Group A received 50% fraction of polyphenol extract from non-commercial green tea in their drinking water and Group B received normal drinking water for a period of 6 months.
After 6 months, 33 percent of the mice in Group A developed hair regrowth. The average surface regrowth rate was 1.6 mm2 per month. When a Histopathological analysis was conducted, the experimental group (A) clearly showed progressive follicular growth.
EGCG helps reduce the production of 5-alpha reductase and helps protect and speed up follicle growth resulting in improved results over the long term.
Clinical studies have shown that caffeine is an effective DHT blocker. It has powerful anti-oxidant properties and can penetrate the scalp within minutes of application. Green tea also contains traces of caffeine, making the combination an exceptional DHT blocker.
Subjects who have used Shapiro MD have reported thicker, stronger, and healthier hair. It helps to restore moisture, repair, and treat hair damaged from coloring and styling. Many women who have not seen results with other brands report that Shapiro worked for them.
As mentioned above, individual results can and will vary, as is the case with using any product. The manufacturer recommends using it on a consistent basis for maximum results.
RUNNER UP: CLINICAL EFFECTS HAIR THERAPY
- Get Thicker Fuller Hair in Just 30 Days!
- Works For Men And Women.
- 90 Day Money Back Guarantee
- Manufactured in An FDA Certified Lab.
Clinical Effects Hair Therapy Shampoo is a new product by Meliorra LLC. that was created to combat hair loss. The shampoo is free of paraben and sulfate and is designed to minimize the effects of DHT on your hair follicles.
The shampoo contains natural ingredients such as Clover flower extracts and Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil.
- This is lightly scented and does not have a heavy, medicated smell like many hair loss products on the market.
- It can be used by both men and women. There is no need to buy a specialty product.
- The company offers a no questions asked 90-day guarantee.
- It is less expensive than many similar products of its type that are currently on the market.
- Women over 50 have reported excellent results from this product.
- You must use it daily, which means that it can run out rather quickly.
- There is no conditioner available as a companion product, so you will have to purchase something separately.
- While users will notice some changes right away, actual growth can take much longer than most would prefer.
What Is DHT?
Dihydrotestosterone or DHT is a hormone in both men and women that can affect hair health. An excess of DHT production in men is one of the most common causes of male pattern baldness ( alopecia areta).
Male pattern baldness or Alopecia areta occurs when hair follicles stop producing new follicles. This anagen process in the hair growth cycle slows down, resulting in thinning hair. Over time, this process then turns into a shorter hair growth cycle, which then impairs new hair from growing.
It also prevents hair from growing as long and strong as before. After the anagen phase in the hair growth cycle is over, hair begins to fall out completely.
In short –
- DHT is a natural hormone that helps develop male characteristics in men.
- DHT can cause hair follicles to miniaturize, which is a major contribution to male pattern hair loss.
- By the age of 50, over half of the men in the United States experience hair loss.
- Treatment methods with natural ingredients that act as DHT blockers have proven to help prevent the loss of hair.
What Is A DHT Blocker And How Does It Work?
As mentioned above already, DHT prevents your hair follicles from absorbing nutrients which cause them to miniaturize and eventually stop growing new hair.
What a DHT Blocker does is, it binds to the 5α-Reductase enzyme and slowly inhibits your body from producing DHT. This leads to hair follicles growing back to normal size, which restarts the hair growth process.
How Effective Is An Anti-DHT Shampoo For Hair Loss?
That begs the question, how effective are they? According to studies, Very. A study conducted on the 2 most popular DHT Blockers, Finasteride and Minoxidil, by the American Academy of Dermatology found them to be very effective.
Why Shapiro MD Hair Loss Shampoo Then?
Because related studies have found that solutions such as Minoxidil and Finasteride have certain unpleasant side effects. Some of them are –
- Loss of Libido
- Swelling of Breasts
The results are also not permanent. According to Jane F. Kardashian, MD. in Fresno, CA., “If Propecia (Finasteride) is discontinued, all the hair retained in that period will fall out,”.
Also, studies of Proscar (Finasteride 5mg) found a rare elevated rate of breast cancer (1.5 out of 20,000 patients).
In contrast, Shapiro MD hair loss shampoo is an all-natural product (supervised by dermatologists) that promotes hair regrowth with no known side effects.
DHT Blocker Side Effects
Now that you understand a bit more about DHT and why it is important, you might wonder, are there any side effects? All in all, using a DHT blocker shampoo or a hair loss supplement is relatively safe.
Products that contain harsh chemicals such as finasteride and dutasteride may cause side effects as we mentioned above. Sticking with a product that is rich in natural ingredients is generally safer.
Like any product, individual results can and will vary. If you are allergic to any ingredient then be sure to speak with a licensed dermatologist or medical professional for advice.
What Causes Hair Loss? Getting to “The Root” of the Problem
Hair loss happens when the hair regrowth cycle slows down or stops altogether. Providing essential vitamins and nutrients to the hair follicles will help keep them healthy and growing. However, when hair follicles become damaged or plugged, hair growth can stop.
So, what causes damage to hair follicles? According to the American Academy of Dermatology, many conditions can lead to hair loss including:
- Extreme stress and tension
- Skin diseases and conditions
- Existing medical conditions and illnesses
- Medications and treatments (such as chemotherapy to help treat cancer)
- Vitamin or nutritional deficiency
- Poor diet
- Hormonal imbalance (common in women who are pregnant or who are menopausal)
- Excessive chemical treatments
- Aggressive hair styling
- Male pattern baldness
- A lack of sleep
If you suffer from a serious medical condition or illness, then you may need a stronger treatment as prescribed by a dermatologist.
Top DHT Blocker Shampoo Comparison
Additional DHT Blockers
- Top Rated Hair Loss Shampoo Since 2012
- Contains Ketonconazole.
- The Only Clinical Proven Ingredient For Hair Loss .
- Contains Biotin. Mild Shampoo. NO Sulfate, NO Parabens.
- Contains Emu Oil As a Moisture To Ease Dry Scalp.
Lipogaine has become a well-established hair loss shampoo since its launch in 2012. It contains ketoconazole, a potent ingredient backed by clinical studies as an anti-hair loss solution.
Let’s take a look at the good, bad, and ugly for “Big 3” by Lipogaine.
- Natural ingredients such as saw palmetto, copper tripeptides, emu oil, etc.
- Excellent amount of Ketoconazole
- Easy to apply
- Helps with the shedding and tingling
In general, Lipogaine is a power-packed option with multiple advantages including the ones listed above. It contains natural ingredients and is paraben-free.
- Slow Progress
There’s not much to worry about with Lipogaine but it takes time to produce results. You need to be patient and follow directions to get your money’s worth.
- Can Run Out Quickly
Yes, the product is wonderful, but it tends to run out quickly. Keep this in mind before you purchase.
Lipogaine is an exceptional hair loss shampoo and has gained street cred as a reliable solution. It works with all types of hair, remains easy to apply, and works wonders over the long-term.
While it takes time to produce results, it will have a positive impact on your scalp and hair loss.
- Promotes Hair Regrowth.
- Reduces DHT.
- Shampoo For Men Only.
- Clinically Proven Formula.
- 60 Day Money Back Guarantee.
Procerin shampoo contains all-natural and clinically proven DHT-blocking ingredients that comply with the FDA’s GRAS safety requirements – which will remove excess DHT from your scalp and stop hair loss.
Procerin Shampoo is enriched with panthenol and olive leaf extract to repair, thicken and strengthen hair follicles while also combating further hair loss.
It is recommended that you use the product for at least 1-2 months before you see results.
Although the product contains some ingredients that are beneficial for women, most of the active ingredients are specially designed for men who are suffering from hair thinning and hair loss.
- Works best on men with hair loss
- High-quality and affordable
- A lot of positive reviews from customers who have used the product
- Backed by an independent clinical study
- May not be that effective on women
- May not work for other hair related conditions
- Some people complain of minor side effects
Procerin is a great alternative to Shapiro MD and Clinical Effects, especially if you’re in the market for a natural solution.
- Highly Effective Micro Blend Caffeine Shampoo.
- Contains Powerful Caffeine Compounds.
- Stimulate Hair Growth.
- Most Effective Topically Available Shampoo.
- Hair Surge Contains 0.2% Ketoconazole.
When it comes to DHT blocking, Ultrax Labs Hair Solaye tends to pop up as a potential hair loss solution.
This product is made with 23 vitamins essential for hair regrowth, hair thickening in thin areas on the scalp, and giving hair follicles the nourishment and nutrients they need for healthy hair regrowth.
Here’s the good, the bad, and the ugly on this product.
- Unique Scent
- Powerful and Consistent DHT Blocking
- Leaves the Hair Silky Smooth
The positives are what make this such an outstanding hair loss solution for thousands of people worldwide. It is ideal for blocking DHT, feels great in the hair, and has a scent that will leave you with a pleasant feeling.
- Hard To Squeeze Out of the Bottle
The bottle is difficult to manage especially as the shampoo gets to the bottom.
This can be a challenge for some but is not a deal breaker. It’s simply something to keep note of as you’re using the solution regularly.
- Comparatively Pricey
If there’s one thing to worry about it would be the price tag. You will find this to be a high-quality product that is in the upper price range compared to the competition.
The combination of Nettle Leaf Powder, Gotu Kola Powder, and Solubilized Keratin have been known to help make hair shinier, strengthening each strand, and reducing underlying hair loss issues.
Thus, Ultrax Labs Hair Solaye is a legitimate DHT blocking option and delivers as a top-tier hair loss solution. It’s easy to apply, comes with a beautiful scent, and simply does the trick as time goes on!
- LifeXtend Complex Hydrates and Nourishes.
- Promotes Healthy Hair Growth.
- Vegan, Sulfate-Free, Paraben-Free.
- Bosley Inc Doctor Recommended.
- No Animal Testing Done.
Bosley Professional Strength BosRevive is formulated to rejuvenate the hair and scalp It’s made for those who have “noticeably thinning hair” rising from excess DHT.
– This product can be used by people of all hair types.
– You can use this product if you have colored hair.
– Recommended by medical professionals.
– There are separate products for men and women. This can be confusing. If someone were to use the wrong one, there is a chance that it will cause damage, including the risk of losing more hair.
– In rare cases, there are people who have used the product for an extended period, and they have not noticed any positive changes.
- Support Hair Growth For Both Women & Men.
- Blocks DHT With 41 Ingredients Natural Herbs & Vitamins.
- Nourish Hair Roots.
- Reverse Free-Radical Damage And Support A Healthy Immune System.
- 100% Vegetarian Formula.
Dr Formulas HairOmega DHT Blocker is a top-rated product on Amazon for hair regrowth treatments.
As we explored above, DHT is commonly known to inhibit hair growth. By taking this product, DHT is blocked, healthy hair growth is encouraged, and hair follicles are strengthened and repaired.
For the best results, manufacturers recommend taking this product at least twice daily—once in the morning and at night before bed.
This dietary supplement is known to improve hair shedding and also thickening thin hair.
Men have reported that this product helps improve beard patchiness and thickening, leaving the beard looking fuller and healthier.
Although results are not instantaneous, taking this product on a regular basis and as instructed will likely show positive results.
- Affordable product
- Encourages Healthy Hair Growth
- Thickens and Nourishes Hair
- Reduces Shedding and DHT hair loss
- 100 percent vegetarian and gluten-free formula
- Designed with all-natural ingredients
- Promotes hair regrowth at top of the scalp and around the hairline
- Manufactured in an FDA-inspected facility in the United States
- Some consumers reported a lack of results
- May take time for the product to work, depending on hair type
- Some stomach issues as side effects reported
- May cause some hair to fall out
- Revitalizes Hair Follicles And Supports Healthy Scalp.
- Contains Multiple DHT Blockers, Preventing Damage And Hair Loss.
- Natural, Botanical Oils And Extracts Add Volume, Texture And Shine To Thinning Hair.
- All Ingredients Meet Art Naturals’ 100 Percent Natural Standards.
With over 1200 reviews on Amazon, ArtNaturals Argan-Oil Shampoo For Hair-Regrowth is one of the best Argan Oil shampoos on the market today.
This unisex product is 100% organic, all-natural, BPA-free, vegan, sulfate-free, and cruelty-free. If affordability is your concern, there is no better product than ArtNaturals hair loss shampoo.
It contains Argan oil, biotin, vitamin B complex, saw palmetto, and host of other clinically proven DHT blockers that help increase blood circulation and regulate DHT.
Continued use of the product will stop hair thinning and hair loss while promoting healthy hair growth.
- Contains DHT-blocking ingredients to stop hair
- Smooths and cleanse the hair
- All natural clinically proven ingredients
- Quite affordable considering the quality of the product
- Many customers have complained that the shampoo doesn’t smell great
- Not the best product for people with dyed hair
- The shampoo may not work for all types of hair.
If you prefer Moroccan Argan Oil, ArtNaturals Argan-Oil Shampoo is definitely your best choice out there.
Last update on 2019-03-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API